Tuesday, June 23, 2015

What Are We Teaching?



WHAT ARE WE TEACHING the next generation?
   I know I promised not to tell you how to think and that is not what this blog is doing, but I have some concerns. I was out this morning having coffee with a friend and we were talking about the young adults today. Especially after the tragedy in Charleston. First this is not directed at any one person or group of people it's just an observation.
   A few minutes into our stay a woman pulled her car into the handicapped parking space. She had her phone wedged between her shoulder and ear. There was no handicap plaque and nothing imprinted on her license plate allowing her the privilege. She was in the store for approximately ten minutes at which time she got back in her car, phone still attached to her ear and drove off. (No harm, no foul, I guess?)
   I have spent many years and hours as a coach in the high schools and have observed all kinds of kids from all walks of life. I've watched them gradually become more self-serving, dishonest, not respectable, and less dependable. The excuses are limitless and the lies terrifying. I've had parents back up the lie and even help create the lie. I watched a parent one day as we checked into a hotel, put the whole bowl of candy in her purse, when the registrar turned her back. The parent leaned in and whispered, "Well they put it out for us to eat."
Stolen blankets from hotel rooms were just paid for and dine-dash was laughed at, almost congratulated. I've had to go to coaches to retrieve stolen personal property from other athletes, in order for my kid to have their gear to compete. I've watched coaches cheat in order to win a game or meet. These people are our mentors.
   We sometimes practice off campus (not a particularly safe place) and I will always wait for a parent to pick up every kid. I have waited for up to 1 hour and half after the conclusion of practice. P.S. I have a family too. These are not just occasional occurrences, I see them more every year.
   Many times as a supervisor of young adults, I’ve had to frantically find a replacement, because an employee stayed up to late at a party and decided they were too tired to come to work. No call, no e-mail, no text. Is the business supposed to accept the premise that the worker was entitled to have the morning off?
   Our government lies to us and we blow it off as long as they dish out free stuff. Teachers change grades. Coaches cheat. Parents feel they don't have rules to follow. Historians change history and religion is discouraged. People don't expect the truth nor do they care if they are told the truth. I know if our mentors continue to set these kinds of examples and we continue to turn a blind eye, it will get worse.
   Are these the kind of future leaders we can expect? I know the pool is getting smaller every day to find well mannered, honest, dependable young adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment