Monday, June 1, 2015

 Latest short story prompt from Facebook.

This is one of the prompts from Facebook that I was talking about in my last post.



The Writer's Circle
Writing Prompt - Short Story
We want to see creativity and lots of it! Take any direction you want. As always, we will pick our favorite responses and reveal them early next week.
Can't wait to read your responses. Write on!
CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
       I ran up the porch steps, evading the down pour. The lightning flashed and the thunder clapped overhead. I shook off as much of the wetness as possible, reaching up to knock. The heavy mahogany door creaked open. I cautiously peeked inside the dark, damp room that smelled of mold and dust. I held my breath and entered. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a rat run the length of the baseboard and disappeared through an open door.
       "Tony this way," Vinny’s voice interrupted the dead quiet from the back of the house. My heart pounded in my throat, cobwebs tangled in my eyelash, and the hardwood floor squeaked with each step I took. I sucked up my courage, making my way deeper into the abyss of the old house on the hill.
       "Tony hurry up! What is taking you so long? I found the room with all the electronic gear," he screeched and faded away. I continued down the hall tip-toeing in the direction from whence I heard him last.
         A door slammed behind me, my breath skipped, I spun to see what had closed it, but saw only my footprints in the dust. A cold breeze whisked past me. "Vinny I don't think we should be here," I whispered as loud as I dare, running in the direction of his trailing voice.
       Sliding to a stop next to Vinny, my eyes caught sight of piles of old computers, video recorders, and monitors. "This stuff is nothing but junk. Why would you want any of it?" I groaned terrified we were about to be caught or worse. I couldn’t even imagine ‘worse’.
       "No, I don't want to steal anything. I want to show you...," he said as three monitors instantly glowed blue. Static scrambled the screens. I held my breath and stared in disbelief at the empty plugs on the walls. One at a time the fizzle vanished, a black silhouette floated across the screen, out of the rooms, and into the hallway I'd just raced down.
       "Vinny do you see that," I said my voice cracking, my feet glued to the floor, and eyes fixated on the screens.
       Vinny tapped me on the shoulder, "I sure do..." he whispered. I turned, his calm demeanor had me puzzled. He stood over me with his hollow, yellow eyes. I felt a warmth wash down my leg, "You always said you wanted to meet a ghost, Hahahahah!"

2nd Chances: A Book of Choices by TD Cooper can be found on Amazon.com or a direct link through my website tdcooperbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment