Thursday, September 24, 2015

If I Had It To Do Over Again...

I won 1st place in a short short story contest. Please enjoy it below. I also have my novel on Amazon. TD Cooper 2ND CHANCES: A BOOK OF CHOICES by TD Cooper Amazon Kindle $2.99 and Createspace paperback $13.99.
GET A SIGNED COPY, VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR DETAILS TDCooperbooks.com ‪#‎NewAdult‬ ‪#‎Paranormal‬ ‪#‎Fantasy‬ ‪#‎Romance‬ Also if you are looking for the Kindle version follow this link http://www.amazon.com/2nd.../dp/B00TD41T3G/ref=sr_1_6.



If I Had It To Do Over Again…


I lay flat on my back, squeezing my eyes shut, and trying to avoid the searing white light that was forcing me to reflect. I had a lot of thinking to do and a monstrous decision to make in the next few minutes. I exhaled. The events of the last few hours organized and started playing through my mind like a black and white movie.


The party was stupid; who in their right mind would celebrate with the blind girl, especially after she’d stolen my boyfriend. Not me, and surely not any of my friends, but they had. “I’ll see to the cheerleaders and football team, later! They’ll never go to Serena’s to celebrate Halloween, again,” I swore.


They all knew the history! Serena was a nobody! She lived on the wrong side of the tracks and her house was tiny. Oh, she was pretty enough with her head of long, curly, raven hair and her large emerald green eyes. But, didn’t they notice the blank stare coming out of those thick, dark lashed orbs? “They must have attended out of pity. Unbelievable!” I chattered.


“I mean, really, why would anyone want to dress-up in crazy costumes to be with Serena over me? I’m pretty and live in a nice big house. My nose has been reconstructed, my lips plumped, and the most expensive hairdressers style my blonde hair. Don’t my friends understand the pain I’ve gone through with my personal trainer?” I exhaled forcefully. “And then there is Jake, the captain of the football team; he’s been ogling Serena all year.”


“Well, I’ll fix them. They’ll think twice before going against me,” I giggled, crushing up laxative pills and stirring them into the dip. I mixed live slugs in with the gummy worms and added real chocolate covered grasshoppers to the candy bowl.


“Oops! Hi, Jake!” He stood behind me, watching me spike the punch. I turned bright red.


“Carla, you are the ugliest person I’ve ever met. Don’t you get it? It’s not what you look like or where you live, it’s what your heart says about you. Kimber, Garrett, Lucy, and the others, are here out of friendship. We know Serena’s not perfect, but her soul is kind and she cares about others,” Jake grumbled, shaking his head. I glared at him, puckering my brow, and rolling my eyes. “Oh, just get out of here! We don’t need to watch you gloat,” he snapped, waving me off and turning his back. He marched off, leaving me standing in the dark.


The tears welled up in my eyes. Had I overstepped some boundary? Did Jake speak the truth? Was there more to being beautiful? I slammed the car door and fired up the engine. The tires squealed as I sped down the dark street and onto the rural road leading back to town. My mind whirled with the words spoken by Jake. I pressed the accelerator down as the tears trickled off my chin. The last thing I remembered was the car tumbling through the corn field.


“Carla! Carla! Your time is up!” A harsh voice I didn’t recognize spoke above me. I looked around seeing no one, but realized I was lying on white cotton, so soft and light, and untouchable. I inhaled sharply, holding my breath. “Where am I?” I whispered, wide-eyed.


“Carla, we need your answer now! Do we send you back for a second chance or do you follow us to Purgatory?” the male voice asked, now quieter and more forgiving.

“I understand my mistakes. I’ve learned my lesson. I promise to be better. Send me back, please,” I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment