Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Favorites

Writers Write added a new photo to the album: Writing Prompts 2.
10 hrs ·
Daily Writing Prompt
http://bit.ly/1OxqaAn

Christmas Favorites


I remember the day Mom called all of my siblings and me into the kitchen. She fed us Christmas cookies and hot chocolate as we sat visiting. It had been an extremely difficult time of year.  Grandma had passed the season before and she had always been an intricate part of our celebration.

My two twin brothers seemed to be at each other’s throats, unusual since they never fought. I remember them ganging up on the rest of us most of the time. My oldest sister seemed to spend more time in her room with the door closed and my baby sister fussed all the time. I just felt hollow.

“Okay, now that I have your attention and you aren’t bickering. I’d like each of you to write your most enjoyable thing about Christmas,” she looked each of us in the eye and handed us a card with holly, poinsettias, and little Christmas trees outlining it. 

I thought for a long time about my favorites and which order to put them in, to come up with the one. I heard Molly shout out, “Santa Claus!” Mom wrote it down for her. Yeah, I enjoyed the tradition of a secret magical man spreading joy to the world, but it wasn’t the one favorite.

Kenny began to write on his card and then handed it to Mom. “All the fabulous food, candies, and cookies!” she read. Yeah, I enjoyed not being restricted from as many sweets as I was during the rest of the year.

Bobby took his pen and covered his card with his arm. He got real close to the card and wrote, “Going shopping for everyone after I’ve worked hard all year to earn money. I like to see their faces light up!” Yeah, I found a lot of pleasure in that scene too.

Kim looked up at everyone and scribbled something on the card. “Read it!” Mom instructed.

“I enjoy the whole family and friends getting together to celebrate all through the season from Thanksgiving to New Year’s,” she sighed. “But I miss Grandma this year.” We all nodded and felt a little sting in our hearts.

It was my turn to write on my card. What was left? Slowly my pen started to move, “I am thankful that Jesus was born on this day to give us a reason to celebrate all the things that my family mentioned.” 

Mom took all of our cards and poked a whole in each, tied a ribbon through it, and hung them on the tree. “Now, every time you feel unhappy or cheated in some way I want you to go and read what you have said here today.”

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I'm pleased to announce that 2nd Chances: A Book of Choices is available on NOOK Press. So now you can find it on KINDLE and/or NOOK!
2ND CHANCES: A BOOK OF CHOICES by TD Cooper
Imagine a two hundred and fifty year love affair with a guardian angel and the reincarnated soul of his soulmate.
Trevor Brady drowned while pirating on the Caribbean in the 1700’s and was given a chance to redeem his soul. He begins life anew, as a guardian of human beings. Trevor also finds himself in love with what may be the reincarnation of his childhood sweetheart, who was murdered by Trevor’s former ship captain. To make things worse, it looks like the ship’s captain has returned from the grave, bent on taking his revenge on Trevor and all whom he loves. They all collide in the world of kidnapping, drugs, and slavery.
GET A SIGNED COPY, VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR DETAILS TDCooperbooks.com ‪#‎NewAdult ‪#‎Paranormal ‪#‎Fantasy ‪#‎Romance Also if you are looking for the Kindle version follow this link http://www.amazon.com/2nd.../dp/B00TD41T3G/ref=sr_1_6.

No comments:

Post a Comment