Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Hanging Tree


The Hanging Tree



Picture by Connie Cooper Edwards


The Hanging Tree

I sat upon the black steed; a rope snugged around my throat, and my hands tied behind my back. Smells filled my nostrils of fresh cut grass mixed with earth from the prancing horse’s hooves. The sky resonated bluer than I’d seen with wisps of white moving across it in the breeze. The end of the rope looped over the thick branch of a magnificent oak full of rustling leaves.

“What a beautiful day to die,” I whispered as they read the charges. Then the final slap of the horse’s rear, forced my steed to bolt out from under me and I swung through the air.


I’d made my share of mistakes, but I’d never broken the law, and I never thought my life’s final moments had me swinging from a tree. How did I end up here?

The week started with a stagecoach robbery. A rifleman sat atop the coach beside me and I handled the horses. Fargo Stage Company carried the payroll for the railroad along with four passengers. One was an engineer, traveling to the new train. His assignment was to drive the engine to the Pacific coast. The second man looked as if he belonged on a horse, wearing his hat low over his eyes, a bandanna around his neck, and a pair of six-shooters. Two women, a mother and daughter, discussed wedding plans for the young, pretty girl.

As the sun crested, the mountain and the valley below took on the natural colors of green, yellow, and brown. A loud pop reverberated over my head, followed by my rifleman slumping across my person. Women screamed as the engineer cowered in the corner of the stagecoach.

The gunman stuck his head out of the window. “Don’t stop!” the gunman shouted at me. I struggled to rein in the horses and push my partner off my lap.

 “Keep the team racing!” the gunman yelled at me.

I looked at him startled. It occurred that I should follow his instructions. I cracked the whip over the horse’s heads, causing them to jump forward, and race up the dusty road. The women bounced on the seat, holding each other to keep from falling to the floor.

“Driver, you can’t drive the team that hard, you’ll kill them!” the engineer argued, screaming at the gunman and me.

“Well, do you have any suggestions on how to out run them,” the gunman shouted, pointing to the four horseman gaining on our stagecoach. Bullets whizzed past us on all sides of the coach. I looked over my shoulder to see what was destine for the five of us. The lead horse showed signs of lather on his neck. “The stage doomed from the first shot fired,” I muttered.

Ignoring the shouts of the gunman I whoa’d the horses to a stop. The robbers surrounded us and disarmed the gunman, finding a silver star with the word Marshall, tucked in his hip pocket. One robber forced the Marshall to the ground; the robber’s hat and bandanna dislodged. The Marshall stared into the bright green eyes of the robber, remembering every detail of his face. I watched from my perch above, feeling a familiar attachment to the robber. When he was unmasked, I saw that we shared the same face.

I’d heard it said, ‘everyone has a twin’. I’d just met mine. The Marshall was convinced I was part of the band of robbers and when I couldn’t identify the men, they hanged me in their stead.


Crows filled the air and landed in every branch available on the tree, screaming and squawking. My vision of the bright blue sky had turned to black. A clap of thunder deafened everyone and a bright light blinded us. Black feathers and leaves fluttered to the ground, a fire burned in the top of the oak, and I hit the ground with the rope still tied around my neck. Birds and lawmen lay dead or stunned on the ground.


I pass that dead lifeless tree every time I have a stagecoach run through the green valley to the coast. I can still see black birds sitting in the thick full branches and a man hanging from a rope on a bright sunny morning.

Get your copy of 2nd Chances: A Book of Choices or/and Magic House from my website http://www.tdcooperbooks.com/contact-us.html. By following the direct links for each book to Kindle and Nook, or get a signed copy by following the prompts on the contact page of my website.



No comments:

Post a Comment